Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"How do you get them to stay so still?"


People always ask me "how do you get them to stay so still?' when they look at my cat photography.

I laugh and tell them that it is not easy, but takes a lot of patience, fast hands, and impeccable timing with the camera. With the help of a "cat wrangler" (yes, there really is such a thing!), I try to pose the cat in a manner which flatters the cat and shows off the attributes of the specific breed. Sometimes kitty is a trouper and actually "holds" the pose, which is every cat photographer's dream, and other times, I must move quickly to capture the shot as soon as the wrangler takes hands off the cat. Of course, my style is to capture as many "candid moments" as I can during each shoot, attempting to show each cat's personality or specific beauty trait.

Perhaps the single-most important skill a cat photographer must have is a natural rapport with the cat, which is easily detected by each feline. Cats know that I love them, so they relax a bit and take on a level of trust and performance for me that is hard to come by. I don't go as far as to call myself a "cat whisperer", but I admit that I try to connect with the cat on a higher sensory level than what is seen in the "here and now" realm. It boils down to that the cat senses love, admiration and respect and we start to build a bond during the photo shoot.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog Audra! You have inspired me to be more active on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete